Friday, October 5, 2018

Weekly Update

Hi Everyone,

Before we start our long weekend, I'm passing along your weekly update. Thank you for your patience with my updates in reading to the end. I know you're busy, and I appreciate the time you take to stay informed about what's happening in our classroom.

Pumpkins:
We will complete an in-class pumpkin investigation. Each child will need his/her own small pumpkin. (These pumpkins are often called "pie size" in the store; they are similar in size to the ones kids get for free when they leave Cox Farms Fall Festival). I sent home a note about it in yesterday's Thursday folder. Please send your child's small pumpkin to school by Monday, October 15th. Please write your child's name on the bottom of their pumpkin.

Please Sign-Up for a Conference!
Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held at the end of the first quarter. I am using a Sign-Up Genius to schedule conferences. You can sign-up for a conference time by clicking HERE. If you are unable to attend a conference on one of the dates/times listed, please send me an email to make alternate arrangements.

Focus Areas for the Coming Week:

  • Reading: We will become Word Detectives and learn skills to solve tricky words. 
  • Writing: We will learn strategies to make our small moment stories come to life!
  • Math: We will complete a quick little unit on estimation and magnitude, in which we discuss reasonable quantities among 3 numbers. 
  • Social Studies: We will learn about American Symbols and their meanings; specifically the American Flag, the Liberty Bell, the Statue of Liberty, the Bald Eagle, the White House, the Capitol, and Mount Rushmore. 
  • Science: We will have a fire safety visit from the Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Department. 
Please reach out with any questions, comments, and concerns. 

I hope you enjoy the long weekend! I know that many of you will be traveling. Donal and I are attending the Reston Town Center Flavors of Fall Festival and running the Pumpkin 5K. I will, of course, be catching up on some much needed sleep and relaxation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment